Wednesday 19 December 2012

The Good Life


The Gaming Good Life


If you are old enough you will remember a BBC TV programme called the Good Life.  If you aren’t it was British situational comedy.

The show centres on Tom Good and his wife Barbara and their Neighbours Jerry and Margo Leadbetter.  On his 40th birthday, Tom is no longer able to take his job seriously and gives up work; their house, in Surbiton Surrey, is paid for so he and his wife Barbara adopt a self-sufficient lifestyle.  They turn their front and back gardens into allotments growing fruit and vegetables. They introduce chickens, pigs (Pinky and Perky) a goat (Geraldine) and a cockerel (Lenin). They generate their own electricity, using methane from animal waste, and attempt to make their own clothes. They sell or barter surplus crops for essentials they cannot make themselves. They cut their monetary requirements to the minimum...
 


This is in essence what I will be doing in 2013 for my hobby.  I have enjoyed 20 years of table top war gaming and compared to some I am still a relative newcomer having only started in my mid-twenties.  Throughout this time I have enjoyed the highs and lows of new games, new models, the steady increase in costs and the variables of disposable income.  Like the majority of gamers I have accrued a ridiculous amount of figures some of which have never seen the light of day; they’ve been put away safely ready for when I have time.  Sound familiar?

On the gaming horizon is Dystopian Legions, Modern skirmish (Force on Force probably), extending my interests into the Medieval and Napoleonic periods and starting the French Indian war period with Musket & Tomahawk.  My favourite period WW2 will not be neglected either. 

Not without some thought I have committed to making my hobby self-sustaining in 2013 and beyond.  I will finance my hobby from the gaming material I have cached in various cupboards, lofts and garage/game room and I will become ‘The Good life Gamer’. 

I will diarise my progress on this blog each month noting success and failures, sales and purchases along the way. 

Wish me well it’s going to be fun.
 
Merry Christmas from Tom, Barbara, Jerry and Margo
 

1 comment:

  1. I AM MAKING TOP TRUMPS AND HAVE CHOSEN YOUR SHOW TO BE PART OF IT
    BTW i AM 11 AND THIS IS 4 HOMEWORK

    ReplyDelete